About the Opportunity
Newton Institutional Links aims to build UK-partner country research and innovation collaborations centred on shared research and innovation challenges which have direct relevance to social welfare and economic development.
This programme is designed to establish links beyond the level of the individual researcher and innovation practitioner, opening up opportunities for more sustainable, solution-oriented collaborations between academic groups as well as with the private and third sector (e.g. SMEs, NGOs, technology transfer offices and other not-for-profit organisations).
These grants are funded under the Newton Fund, a UK Government initiative funded by the UK Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS), together with partner funders from around the world. The Fund aims to promote the economic development and welfare of either the partner countries or, through working with the partner country, to address the problems of low-income and vulnerable populations.
- Size of grant: £50,000 – £150,000
- Priority areas: Partner countries may specify priority areas and will only accept applications within these. Priority areas are listed in the guidelines document (download section).
- ODA requirement: All applications must meet the required relevance to economic development or social welfare (see guidelines for further information) of the partner country.
Applications can be submitted for collaborations between the UK and Indonesia, Peru, Philippines, and Thailand.
- Each proposal must have one Principal Applicant from the UK, as well as a Principal Applicant from the partner countries listed above.
- All Principal Applicants must be Leading Researchers or Established Researchers as defined by the EC here .
- Please see the list of eligible UK research institutions available in the download section below.
Other eligibility criteria apply. Please refer to the guidelines document available from the download section below for full eligibility criteria.
8 June 2018, 16:00 UK time.
How to Apply
- Download and read fully the guidelines document from the download section.
- Complete the online application form. A word docx version of the application form is available from the downloads section. This is intended to give applicants knowledge of the questions in the online application form only, and cannot be used to submit an application.
If you are experiencing issues with downloading the budget spread sheet, please try using a different browser (Google Chrome) or email UK-InstitutionalLinks@britishcouncil.org to receive a copy.
All queries or comments about this call should be addressed to the Institutional Links email address UK-InstitutionalLinks@britishcouncil.org. Please specify that you are enquiring about the Newton Fund Institutional Links call.
Further information regarding the program can be accessed through this LINK
Newton Fund Institutional Links – guidelines for applicants – April 2018 (Adobe PDF 711KB)
Newton Fund Institutional Links – application form – April 2018 (Microsoft Word 62KB)
Newton Fund Institutional Links – grant agreement template – April 2018 (Microsoft Word 154KB)
Newton Fund Institutional Links – detailed budget sheet – April 2018 (Microsoft Excel 87KB)
Eligible UK Research Organisations (Adobe PDF 199KB)