Prior to your departure to Indonesia, you need to apply study permit and visa. Study permit is issued by the Ministry of Research Technology and Higher Education (MoRTHE). Calling/telex visa is issued by the Directorate General of Immigration of the Republic of Indonesia in your home country upon issuance of your Study permit. Prior to your departure, you need to collect the calling/telex visa at the Embassy of the Republic of Indonesia in your country for entering Indonesia.
Please check if you require a Socio & Cultural Visit Visa (VKSB) or Temporary Stay Permit Visa to enter Indonesia for study purposes. VKSB valid for 30 – 60 days and can be extended for every 30 days for 4 times consecutively for a total of 180 days. Single entry only. Student can apply for VKSB multiple times. Temporary stay permit visa valid for 6 – 12 months and can be extended. The international students must start applying for this visa 2 – 3 months before their arrival and must report to immigration office within 7 days of arrival in Indonesia.
To ensure, you must contact the Indonesian Embassy or consulate in your home country of residence to check visa regulations prior to their travel to Indonesia. Please check the website of Indonesian Embassy to find out the requirements for your visa application. Don’t enter Indonesia with a tourist visa or visa on arrival.
Upon your arrival at Soekarno Hatta Airport you will follow the signs to an Immigration check-point. At that place you will need to show your passport, visa and Incoming Passenger Card. Please check your visa which attached in your passport. There will be information visa type/length of stay on the bottom left. If your visa type is C316/6 months, please make sure you receive the right stamp which is written “limited stay permit”. And if your visa type is B211A/60 days, please make sure you receive the right stamp which is written “visit visa”. Please make sure the information above before you leave the immigration counter. You may also have to show your confirmation of enrollment.
Once you have cleared this checkpoint you will enter the baggage hall where you can claim your luggage and proceed to customs and baggage examination. Your luggage, including your hand luggage, will be x-ray-ed. A customs officers will ask you to open your luggage so that they can inspect these items. If the customs officers decides than an item is not quarantined, you will be allowed to keep the item and move out. If the item is quarantined, the item will either be confiscated and destroyed, or held for decontamination and returned to you at a later date.
If as an international student or researcher, you wish to do a research in Indonesia, you have to apply for a research permit to your research counterpart. This normally an institute or a body connected to your research. In order to obtain a visa to conduct a research, your research proposal must be approved by the Ministry of Research, Technology and Higher Education (MoRTHE). the cost for obtaining the research permit is around US$100 but sometimes can be more expensive than that. Please read the following application steps and requirements:
- Research student should contact the international office at home university
- The international office staff at home university should contact to the International Collaboration Office of Bogor Agricultural University.
- Research student or home university submit the documents to IPB as required documents (include the detail proposal)
- Research student should complete research permit application to the Ministry of Research Technology & Higher Education (MoRTHE)
- We will contact you through your e-mail address to give assistance for applying research permit to the MoRTHE
- The research student applies for a visa to the Indonesian Embassy at home country
- Once a visa is completed, buy the flight ticket
- Please contact the International Collaboration Office to inform your arrival in Indonesia
- Fly to Indonesia
However, the research student also may apply the research permit through online application by their selves with the following steps:
- Complete the online application form at http://frp.ristek.go.id/. Once the form is sent, the applicant is provided with a unique user ID and initial password. Keep these information securely.
- Confirmation of application : Re-login to your personal page using the user ID and password, and confirm your application. If you wish, you can also change the password (recommended at your first login to keep your privacy and data secure).
- Uploading the required documents : Upload the electronic files, and the scanned ones for the copy of passport, recommendation letters, photographs, etc.
- Pre-approval: Once all required documents are completed, the application will be passed to the Ministry of Research Technology and Higher Education (MoRTHE).
- Reviewing Process
- Final approval: Once the application is approved by the MoRTHE, you will be noticed to collect your research visa at the Indonesian Embassy in your home country or other country as requested. The official permit (letter and card of research permit) will be available for the applicant after the arrival and reporting to the Secretariat of Foreign Research permit office in Jakarta.
- Pay research permit fee to Ristek.
- Formal letter of request to do research in Indonesia, a copy which is addressed to the Indonesian Representative abroad (e.g. Indonesian Ambassador, Consulate General). This letter should explicity state the address of Indonesian Representative from which the researcher will obtain the visa. If this address is not given, it can cause delays in some cases.
- A copy of detailed research proposal, which should has a title, stated objectives, and description of the methodology and concepts, it must clearly state the locations where field research will be done. If the work is to be done from one or more field stations, please indicate which one will be the Research Base Station.
- A copy of the researcher’s curriculum vitae (CV) including a list of publications. For applications with multiple number of researchers, each researcher must submit his/her CV.
- Two letters of recommendation, one from a professor or equivalent senior researcher in the researcher’s discipline and the other from an official at the researcher’s home university.
- Letter (s) of acceptance from Indonesian counterpart.
- A letter guarantee in sufficient funds to cover research and living expenses in Indonesia and fees for the Indonesian counterpart (s).
- Health certificate from a medical doctor.
- A letter of recommendation from an Indonesian representative abroad.
- Four recent red background passport size (4 x 6 cm) photographs, and 2 copies of 2 x 3 cm size photographs.
- A copy of the researcher’s passport. Note: the passport mus be valid for at least 6 month after the date of completing research in Indonesia.
- A list of the equipment brought to Indonesia. If any, to support the research. The value of these equipment should be stated in US dollar.
- If a researcher plants to bring his/her spouse and children to Indonesia, the researcher must submit a copy of marriage certificate, spouse’s curriculum vitae, children’s birth certificate, four recent photographs of each family member and a copy of his/her family’s passports.
- For further information you can find at http://frp.ristek.go.id/
- The research permit process will takes time around 4 weeks.
- Please click the icon below to apply online research permit application: